Each year the FAFSA for the upcoming year becomes available on October 1st. All students are encouraged to apply for financial aid as early as possible.
New incoming students who are applying for admission to St. Vincent’s College are encouraged to complete the financial aid application process by submitting the FAFSA and SVC at SHU Online Confidential Information Form at least six weeks prior to the beginning of your first enrollment period (December 3, 2018 for Spring 2019 applicants). Please note that additional documentation may be required.
Returning students The deadline for returning students to apply for financial aid for the 2019-2020 school year is March 15, 2019.
Complete the FAFSA
- Create or update your FSA ID to begin the financial aid application process.
- Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for this upcoming academic year. The earlier you submit your FAFSA, the better.
- Use the Sacred Heart University school code when completing your FAFSA:
- SHU Federal Code – 001403
- Use the FAFSA for the school year you will begin enrollment:
- Spring 2019 applicants: Use the 2018-2019 FAFSA.
- Fall 2019 applicants: Use the 2019-2020 FAFSA.
- Report your 2016 IRS tax data and 2016 W2 earnings on your 2018-2019 FAFSA; report your 2017 IRS tax data and 2017 W2 earnings on your 2019-2020 FAFSA. We recommend you use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT), which electronically transfers your federal tax return information into your FAFSA.
- If your FAFSA results were selected for a review process called “verification”, you will be requested to submit tax information and other documentation prior to receiving an estimated financial aid award offer. Please respond promptly to all requests for required documents.
Complete the Confidential Information Form
- Complete the SVC at SHU Confidential Information Form, and submit it to the Office of Student Financial Assistance once you have completed the FAFSA. [NEW! Complete this form online in the SHUAwards “My Documents” portal]
Review Your Award
Once the FAFSA and SVC at SHU Confidential Information Form are received by St. Vincent’s College at Sacred Heart University, the Student Financial Assistance team will review the data and provide you with an estimated financial aid award offer that includes your eligibility for federal, state and college sources of financial assistance. Check your student email for important communications.
You will receive a Financial Aid Award Letter via SHUAwards, the university’s online financial assistance database. You will receive an email notifying you when your award offer is available. To access your SHUAwards account, you will need your university student ID.