Office of Student Accessibility

St. Vincent’s College and Sacred Heart University are dedicated to providing reasonable accommodations for students under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Amendment Act (2009) in order to provide access to its campus environment. The Office of Student Accessibility (OSA) is committed to actively engaging with each student’s request for accommodations. When determining accommodations and/or auxiliary aids for individual students, the OSA is guided by federal law, which indicates an individual with a disability is an individual who:

  • has a physical or mental impairment that significantly impacts one or more major life activities, such as, caring for oneself, hearing, learning, reading, writing, speaking, breathing, or working
  • has a record of such an impairment; or
  • is regarded as having such an impairment

Each student’s unique history, disability, condition and request assists in determining accommodations based on Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Amendment Act (2009).

Requesting Accommodations

Students seeking accommodations at St. Vincent’s College should submit an online request, comprehensive documentation and meet with the assistant director or accommodations specialist at the OSA to review documentation and their accommodations request. This meeting will take place only after the student has completed the online request form, in order to ensure each student’s right to privacy. Review the process for requesting accommodations.

Submitting Documentation

Comprehensive documentation submission is required. A recent evaluation should be submitted, completed by an appropriate credentialed professional certified in the area being evaluated. The evaluator cannot be a family member. The evaluation should make evident the disability’s current impact on educational performance as it relates to the services and accommodations requested. A student’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP), Summary of Performance (SOP) and/or 504 Plan are considered supplementary documentation and should not be submitted alone.

A student who is transferring is encouraged to submit documentation previously submitted to their prior college or university as well as a letter from that institution’s disability coordinator detailing the accommodations and services provided.

A student seeking accommodations must submit the needed documentation in order to receive accommodations. It is required that students obtain and submit appropriate disability documentation in order to receive accommodations. Priority consideration is given to accommodations students request based on the law; however, this does not mean these accommodations must be granted if they are not deemed to be reasonable or an appropriate alternative accommodation(s) can be provided. If a student submits documentation that is incomplete or does not adequately determine if a student has a disability or qualifies for the accommodations being requested, the Office of Student Accessibility (OSA) reserves the right to request additional documentation. Any cost incurred by obtaining this additional documentation is the sole responsibility of the student.

All information shared with the OSA is confidential.

Disability Documentation

Documentation for disabilities should comply with Sacred Heart University’s documentation guidelines. These can include recent and comprehensive evaluations from qualified professionals and/or documentation from treating medical professionals. Disability documentation from other post-secondary institutions can also be reviewed. All information provided will be kept confidential in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). If you have an attention disorder, psychological or other medical condition for which you are currently being treated and require accommodations, please have your treating physician or clinician complete the Disability Documentation Form. For more information on required documentation, please review our Documentation Guidelines. If you have any questions on the information above, contact us:

Accommodation Information

Students who have been approved for accommodations through the required university process and are looking for additional information on approved accommodations can access this information on the main Sacred Heart University page:

All initial and renewal requests for accommodations are managed by the Office of Student Accessibility located on the main campus of Sacred Heart University. St. Vincent’s College students granted accommodations will work onsite with the Student Success Coordinator to facilitate accommodations.

Accessibility Barriers Reporting Form

St. Vincent’s College is committed to taking steps to ensure all aspects of its campus are accessible to its users, regardless of means of access. The reporting form below can be used by the Sacred Heart community to report various accessibility barriers across the university including instructional, technological or physical. These barriers can also be reported to the Office of Student Accessibility, IT or Public Safety. Please click here to access and fill out the form.


SVC SHU Student Success Coordinator: Nick Boretsky,

Assistant Director, Office of Student Accessibility: Beth Skudzienski,
Tel: 203-365-4730
Fax: 203-396-8049